1 Zone / 16 Tray / 2.56m² Tray Areaview
- 2 pounds (900g) flank steak
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 fresh jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- Trim the meat of any visible fat, then partially freeze. Cut into 1/4-inch (6 mm) thick slices or strips across the grain using a very sharp knife or meat slicer. Try to cut the meat as uniformly as possible for even drying. Place the strips in a large ziptop plastic freezer bag.
- While the meat freezes, combine the remaining ingredients in a small saucepan. Place over medium heat and stir until the sugar dissolves. Let cool, then carefully pour over the strips in the bag. Squish everything around to coat, then seal the bag and refrigerate until the meat is no longer red, about 24 hours, turning and squishing the bag about halfway through to ensure even coverage with the marinade.
- Drain off the marinade and place the strips in a single layer on dehydrator trays. Dehydrate at 160°F (71°C) for 6 to 8 hours. When done, the jerky should bend but not snap, and should show no signs of redness.
- Remove the jerky from the dehydrator, arrange on baking sheets in a single layer, and place in a preheated 275°F (135°C) oven for 15 minutes. Allow the jerky to cool completely before placing in an airtight container.